Friday, September 2, 2011

Working with what I have

jQuery, HTML5, Ajax, Webfonts, CSS3.....etc. JAYZUS.

There appears to be a million new methods and techniques for us to present web content, but oh god there are just too many things to learn. I don't even know where the heck to start.

Everytime I surf the net, I see something new and exciting, and it always made me think: "Oh how the heck do they do that?"

But there is only so much I know. Sure, I've attempted installing the very popular jQuery lightBox plugin , and tried writing a few lines of jQuery, but because I'm not a big fan of javascript in the first place, it turned out to be quite a pain in the arse.

At work, whenever I'm thrown a new assignment, I'll be far too ambitious with it. I'll be like "OH I WANT TO USE AJAX FOR THIS SO IT CAN AUTO-LOAD ITSELF" while not even knowing how to write AJAX. And then, I'll attempt to read up a little on it, realized it's too hard to learn within a few days, and abandon the project for awhile. When I'm closer to the deadline, I'll be in like "OH MY GOD PANIC MODE" and put together the project with whatever knowledge I have. And still, I end up still not knowing how to write AJAX.

I'm not surrounded by colleagues who are excited about these new technologies, because , good and bad, our work environment just requires the forms and applications we build to work. Never mind if the usability police arrests us. Never mind if the colors used is damn salah . Never mind if the fonts used makes me want to scream. It just needs to work. And so, I don't really learn anything new.

This catching up game is exhausting.

No comments: