Saturday, November 6, 2010

A little review

I just read the John Grisham's The Rainmaker, a book that has been lying around in my home for probably more than 10 years, belonging to a friend who I don't talk to or see anymore. The odd part is, I did also, more than 10 years ago, went to the theater to watch the movie version of the book, but didn't see the damn movie because I didn't bring my spectacles. But that was just me being a stupid teenager.

Anyway, I'm not entirely impressed with the writing. It had the "underdog wins the day" kinda plot: lawyer, fresh out of law school, takes on a case of insurance bad faith that was worth millions, fighting against a team of expensive lawyers from a huge law firm. As the reader you were already sure the underdog will win. You'll want him to win, because Grisham put in so much snide about richer lawyers: their expensive suits and their three-hundred dollar per hour court appearances.

I felt like I paid for a roller-coaster ride: the ride was pretty okay, but I wouldn't want to pay to try it a second time again. Grisham belongs to the genre of Airport Novels, with characters I don't really feel anything for.

In the friend context, I think you can describe John Grisham as the kinda friend you don't mind going with other buncha friends to play Left 4 Dead with. But you wouldn't want to share your deepest, darkest secrets with him.

But that's not stopping me from reading The Firm now.

No comments: