Wednesday, September 29, 2010

There's something different about great art


Mark Rothko's White Center (Yellow, Pink and Lavender on Rose)" (1950)

I subscribe to the RSS of a group on Flickr, one where anyone can tag the art (painting / digital art / etc.) they've done. Some are okay, most are just crap. That's how the Internet is: anyone having access to it can have a space to present themselves; we just have that tedious job of looking through shit until we find something outstanding.

Now, who am I to talk? I'm hardly an artist. I don't even bother looking stylish like an art-school kid (which I'm not). The irony is: I suppose I do have an eye for great art and web design. That eye took some time to develop. Bad design makes me shudder.

We know that achieving greatness in anything you do takes time. That would include art. This would mean that some of that crap art on the flickr group might be the preliminary 'sketches' of something great to come.

So here's a reminder to anyone reading this: don't give up.

Interesting fact: The above painting by Mark Rothko was sold for a cool $72.8 million in May 2007. Read more at the wiki page.