Friday, February 8, 2008

Chinese New Year Day 2

Attended another gathering of the extended family of my mother's, which was held at one of my cousin's place. My cousins' offsprings were running all over the place. My brother was distributing his namecards. Why he has to do that I don't know. Perhaps it is a status symbol.

Much of the conversations were carried out in Hainannese. I knew that the conversation was pretty private, but it continued being carried out even in my presence: I'm foreign to that language, and the mother is aware of that.

Otherwise, aunties and uncles chooses to throw you the usual questions of still working? and are you studying?. Oh I so hate that.

I tried to read Catcher in the Rye on our bus journey there, but the mother insisted on pointing out at trees and landmarks that our bus went past. Where Fandi Ahmad lived, where the British surrended to the Japanese (Old Ford Factory), the beautiful goddamned trees even. But we seldom go out together so I let her.

No comments: